What is a Funeral co-operative?
- Operates on the principle of mutual support and democratic organization
- Provides simple, dignified funeral services as economically as possible.
What is the Sunset Funeral Co-operative?
- a community driven initiative
- offers affordable funeral services
- members or others not belonging to a sponsoring church will be accommodated with consideration in the manner they wish
- sponsoring congregations commit to the use of their churches and commit themselves to supportive ministry of bereavement
- services and visitation may be held in sanctuaries and halls of SPONSORING CONGREGATIONS or in a home or at the Sunset Co-op in Margaree Valley, if requested.
Does Sunset Co-op offer pre-paid funerals?
- Yes. Details available by calling or emailing our office.
- We also work with Canada Purple Shield. The Canada Purple Shield plan is a specialized type of insurance program that provides funeral funding options for your burial expenses.
Can I transfer a pre-paid funeral to Sunset Funeral Co-operative?
- YES. Contact the existing funeral provider- sample letters available
- Request your contract to be terminated
- Once funds have been transferred, contact Sunset Funeral Co-op to make new arrangements
- Legally, the existing funeral home has 30 days to return your pre-paid money
- They also have the right to keep 10% of the money that was in trust for :admin costs
Do you accept Credit Cards/Debit cards?
- To keep costs down, we only accept cheques, bank drafts (money orders) or cash. We also accept e-transfers. We stay away from the credit/debit cards because of the extra cost we would have to charge you.
How is the Sunset Funeral Co-op run?
- Operating from building & office located in Margaree Valley
Employs a full time Funeral Director and Embalmer
Governed by a Board of Directors elected at AGM
Directors develop and ensure policies and procedures are in place and carried out
Staff conduct the day to day operations of the business
Each member has voting rights at the AGM.
Do you have to be a member of a sponsoring congregation to join the co-op? What does it cost to join?
- No, Membership is open to anyone over the age of 13 living within the geographical boundaries of the co-op.
- The cost of membership is a one-time payment of $25 per member.
- A member receives a $250 discount on funeral services
How do I become a member?
- Print and fill out the Membership Application Form and send with your $25 fee to our office in Margaree Valley.
- More information available by contacting our office.
Do you have to be a member to use the services of Sunset Co-op?
- No. Anyone within the geographical boundaries of any of the sponsoring congregations may use the services provided by the co-op.
- Non-members do not get the $250 discount.
Can I Invest in the Sunset Funeral Co-op?
- Yes. You may obtain information on Equity Tax Credit or Regular Shares.
- At present a 30% N.S. Equity Tax Credit is available on an investment up to $1000.